Friday, January 19, 2007

Peppermint Brownies

So last night I decided a good way to continue to procrastinate on my homework was to invent a new recipe. I've really been craving some sort of peppermint chocolate thing, and brownies sounded tasty last night. I found a recipe online for regular brownies, and decided to try to modify it to make yummehness. So they ended up tasting really good, but the texture needs a little work. Here's how I made them if anyone wants to try them.

Peppermint Brownies

2/3 cup white flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup chocolate soymilk
½ cup oil
½ teaspoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup crushed candy canes (about 3 large ones)- I used a coffee grinder to crush them. Be sure to only let it run for a few seconds or you'll end up with peppermint dust.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Oil a 8x8 pan
Mix dry ingredients except candy canes in a medium mixing bowl. Add soymilk and oil and mix until well combined. Mix in about half of the crushed candy canes. Press into pan, sprinkle rest of candy canes evenly across the top.
Bake for 25-30 minutes.


So I baked them for like 30 min and thought they were done- but after I pulled them out and let them cool a little, they were still REALLY gooey. Like wouldn't hold their shape gooey, not yummy fudgey gooey. I put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes, and they firmed up a little bit but are still pretty gooey. I think next time I need to add less oil or more flour or something.


It was fun while grinding up the candy canes because when you take the lid off the coffee grinder, peppermint dust goes everywhere and ends up in your mouth. Shannon named it peppermint crack.

No comments: